Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Cataloguing

I found this post in my "Drafts" folder from January 20, 2012.  Apparently I forgot to hit "publish."


According to Cutter (as referred to in Connors, 2008) "the objectives of the catalog were to:
• Enable the user to find a book of which the author, title, or subject is known.
• Show what works the library has by a given author, on a given subject, or in a given literature.
• Assist in the choice of book as to its edition or as to its character.

My problem here?  I don't think my catalogue or records do any of these.  Because so little information has been input over the last decade, the records are merely a list of titles - some of those not even entered correctly.  I am struggling with fixing things as I go, or waiting until I am done weeding, (which may not be until the end of the year) and then begin updating the catalogue.  Or do I bother?  Do I just make sure that new acquisitions are entered completely and not worry about older records?

Subject searches in our catalogue are even more pointless.  Resources with the word "Canada" in the title don't even come up under a subject search for "Canada."  I am now realizing my own errors in adding new items to our catalogue.  I was so eager to add books, especially fiction, that I was just providing author, title, call number, ISBN and publisher info.  Oh, how I wish I had "clicked" that "subject" tab at the bottom of the page.

 Sometimes I wonder if I should just start over or just make sure I create accurate records from now on?  Organizing this library, that has not been "looked after" for 15 years or more, is a bit overwhelming at times.  Baby steps, I keep telling myself, baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment