Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Library Catalogue

I think I actually get to be original as my school uses Alexandria for our cataloguing system and the version or system we pay for is not an actual OPAC system - meaning we do not have online access to the catalogue. The three elementary schools and my high school in Hope all use this system, however we are independent of each other. The system itself is excellent and based on my observations and research into Follett's Destiny, the two systems are very similar.

Students have access to our catalogue on one computer in the library - and honestly NO ONE uses it. One of the main obstacles is that the students have to log in to the computer and then access the catalogue, which just takes too long. I have considered making the catalogue computer accessible without a log in, but that means one fewer computer for student use and they are all used regularly.

As part of my assignment 3 I began investigating an upgrade to our system to allow for online access. I would need an initial outlay af about $1200 plus a yearly maintenance fee of $599. (Only 390 students in our school) This would give us the ability to have up to 10 concurrent users of the catalogue, which at this time, seems like more than enough. I have not compared this to what it would cost to change to Destiny - that is next on my "To Do" list for our catalogue.

In a previous course I did an extensive study of our system when analyzing one section of our non-fiction collection. I realized at that time that the catalogue is only as good as the information it is provided and that has only been confirmed in this course. In the student search feature they have several options - like some other students in the class, I find the visual of the search screen a bit dated, and in my case a bit "young" for my high school students. It is very easy to navigate and try different search parameters. The problem is, many of our resources have not been entered correctly. For example, a search for titles with the word "Canada" nets 6 results - really? We only have 6 books with the word "Canada" in the title? And a search of the subject "Canada" only gives 4 results - and 2 of them are not the same as the title search. Yikes!

Managing the system from the main library computer is not difficult. The system has a very clean visual look and now that I know most of the keyboard shortcuts, moving between different functions is even easier. Since starting this course we have significantly improved the cataloguing of our new resources, and once I have finished the weeding of the non-fiction, we will begin recataloguing other resources. (I feel your pain Beth!)

I think some of the discrepancies in the catalogue have been the result of going from a full time TL with a full time aide 20 years ago, to just a TL who had to teach 1 or sometimes 2 classes as well. There just wasn't time to maintain the collection or the catalogue the way it should be. This being my first year as the TL, I have tried to be the observer. How is the library being used? How is the catalogue being used? Which features do I like? Do I need to change? or just upgrade what I have.

Like some others, I have played with reports on my system as well. I like being able to print off my monthly circulation to show the increases since last year, and I also like that I can see things like the average age of the collection.

One of the problems I have with our system is finding students for overdue items. When we originally started using the system, our school had a daily homeroom so this was where the TL could hand out overdue notices or give the homeroom teacher a list of overdues. We no longer have homerooms and the students' schedules have not been entered into the system as part of their profile. To send overdue notices I have to pick one of our 8 blocks and then manually search for the location of each student. One of the features I will be looking for when considering an upgrade to our system is an easy way to import student data when creating "patrons" so that my overdue notices can indicate the student's location.

No comments:

Post a Comment