Sunday, July 24, 2011

Thinking about "Grey Literature"

I am currently in the process of "moving in" to the library and have been exploring cupboards and filing cabinets to see what I want to move, discard or leave alone. During this process I have come across two filing cabinets of clippings. I remember this type of library reference from when I was in school and honestly was not even aware that my school still kept clipping/pamphlet files. To qualify this, it appears the files have not been maintained or added to for many, many years. So my question is, do I just dump the lot or do I try to revive and refresh these files?

There are many important and relevant pieces of grey literature. I think about the pamphlets that I have created for programs or events but also those produced by local agencies like our Fraser Health Authority. These seemingly simple documents provide up-to-date information in an easily read and short format. They take up little space and are visually appealing. But do I need to store them in the library? And will anyone come looking for them there? It is quite easy to order this type of grey literature directly from the "source" and much of it is also stored elsewhere, like our student services, the Health Unit or other government offices. Do I keep things "just in case?"

Because I am not a hoarder, I find it quite easy to just say "toss it all." I don't see students or staff using this material, and I think I can use the space being taken up by filing cabinets to make my library more accessible and open. I also think that there may be a better way. Could I not gather some of this material on an "as needed" basis? Part of my "plan" for the library is to improve the collaboration between myself and the rest of the staff. I want to be more prepared for classes coming to use the library by providing organized access to on-line and print resources. I think it could be possible to include some grey literature acquisitions in this preparation. I could then pass the file on to the teacher after the unit is over. The teacher could use this material for future lessons or we could decide together if it is worth keeping and then store it in a vertical file system. I think that by working with the teacher, the material will more likely be used, or, if nothing else, at least the teacher and students will be aware it is there.

I personally like using grey literature, pamphlets, newspaper clippings, fact sheets,etc.. I feel that they are usually very current and updated and the layout works especially well with high school students - length being a key component here. I especially like the Statistics Canada information. The recent census provides interesting local and national information that I have used in Family Studies, Leadership and even English classes. I also like health related information. In English 11 my students read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. Before we read the novel we do quite a bit of learning about Autism and Aspergers. The fact sheets provided by Autism Speaks and other organizations help my students understand the fictional character in the novel, and also about the students in our school who have Autism.

I think blogs are another important source of information today. Although many are truly on-line journals, others offer reviews, comparisons, links to authoritative sources and they come in an interesting format that appeals to the generation I am teaching. I use a class blog as a teaching tool and communication tool. Students can link to assignments and notes they may have missed and can stay updated when they are absent. I also link to other teacher blogs, our school web site, and sites that provide relevant information for my units of study. In addition, I use blogs as a resource for my teaching. I can read reviews of novels, films, and other materials. I also find interesting links to sites and other blogs that provide up-to-date information to add to lessons and units.

I am still considering my original question - do I keep the existing clipping/pamphlet files in my library? I think I will begin by reviewing the files to see if there is anything relevant for units that I know teachers are doing but I definitely think I will end up recycling most of what I find.

1 comment:

  1. Careful thinking here, Lenora. The very good news is that the type of resource you are thinking about keeping is now readily available in pdf form to be downloaded on an ad hoc basis.

    Also, it's really important to be highly selective about using blogs in a more authoritative mode. It's the same thinking I use when I freely access other people's genealogy work. I always remember that they are as able as I am to make errors and leap to conclusions.

    ReplyDelete